WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Saturday, June 04, 2005  

Of hairdressers and such

Once in a while one comes across a stupid idiot. My turn was yesterday. My short short haircut needed a trim and I had wanted to give this stupid idiot a try. So I called him a week ago. He sounded very strange on the phone, told me he had just had nose surgery and was feeling dizzy and if I could please call him in a week. Being the sweet personable ass that I am I made some light remarks about his (elective) surgery, hoped he would be feeling better soon and said I would be calling again. Which I did. Yesterday. The stupid idiot answers. I ask for an appointment. He says he can do it at 7 PM. He then asks me whether he had cut my hair before. I say no. He asks if I was being referred by a client. I say no. He ask how I found him. Through the Internet, I say. He says he does funky short hair. I say, good, that's exactly what I want, funky messy short hair. He says he does kids, teen-agers, college kids. I am at kid at heart, do I qualify? He says he usually does not take new clients. By now I am a little surprised. I ask whether he wants to cut my hair or not. He replies, robot-like, that he usually does not take new clients. I guess usually means now to him. To make a long story short, there was no appointment. But this stupid idiot could have told me no a week ago and I could have made an appointment with my regular hairdresser, who is now out of town. Stupid idiot. Stupid spacey idiot at that.

So I ended up going to the salon just across from home. Not my first choice for a haircut, but I just wanted a trim. I got it for 19 bucks and I was in and out in no time so I am not complaining. In the few minutes I was there I was also treated to the spectacle of some very weird looking woman reacting to an overdose of medication or maybe it was just some acute psychotic episode. She was being shampooed and so was I when I heard this commotion. She got up, babbling, crying, trembling. At the beginning I had no idea what was wrong, I thought maybe they had burned her hair to shreds (it has happened to me once, but it was sort of fun, my friend Liliana was playing hairdresser on my hair, in the middle of the night, I was relaxing, sipping wine ...) or maybe somebody had managed to rape her viciously right there on the chair and nobody had given a damn. Well no, the tragedy was that the poor girl who was washing her hair had turned the water too hot. That was enough to send this lady into total despair. They had to walk her to another chair, sit her down, breath with her to try and calm her down. What a resilient soul. I wonder what happens to her when she comes face to face with real hardship like, maybe, a broken nail.

This emotional roller coaster got me so shooked up that I didn't even join Fabian for some dancing last night. Just not fair.

Yay! The countdown!

M.A. called yesterday. He might be coming to NY earlier than expected. I am not sure whether he wants to stay here or to take a few days off and go somewhere. Either way, it sounds perfect. I can hardly wait. My partner in crime is coming!

11:27 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives