WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Monday, August 09, 2004  

Sleep now!

A little Red Bull helped. But sleep will feel like a blessing.

We were still in Miami this morning. We had the alarm set at 5.50 AM and amazingly were out of the room before 6.30. Taking into account that we both showered, finished packing and even had a coffee, I am still amazed at this feast in synchronization. We landed in NYC at around 11 AM. M.A. went straight to the office, I waited until 2 PM. Then we both worked late, him later than I (or is it "later than me"? Susan! Please clarify!). Now he he has just left after a light dinner and I am ready to collapse, but not before posting an entry.

Here's a recap of the week-end:

Yesterday evening (Sunday) we had dinner with Jane, a friend and colleague from Geneva who is now retired and living in Ft. Lauderdale, her son Jay, who is as nice as ever, and April, his wife-to-be, a very sweet girl with the most amazing lips. The place they chose was an Argentinian restaurant called The Knife, in an area called Hollywood. When we walked in it felt like being in Uruguay. The smell of the meat, the loud loud crowd. I stuffed myself at the salad bar and had one bite of meat and half a chorizo and could not have more than a taste of the dessert, but everything was yummy and dinner was fun. We had time to catch up and laugh a lot.

Other than that the week-end was quiet. We did not go wild at night. Did not hit the dance floors. Did not hop the bars. M.A. was sick on Friday and recuperating over the week-end, he was a little tired, a little off. I was, as usual, still premenstrual, until Sunday. We went out for dinner on Friday night and were up early on Saturday to get to the beach..
The hotel we were staying at sucks. It claims to be a 4 stars hotel but it's barely a 3 stars. The entrance is grandiose but the room was basic. No real complaint here because we got it for free - well, sort of, I exchanged VISA points for the stay.
Saturday we found out how bad public transportation is in Miami while waiting forever for a bus to take us to the beach (we opted for a cab on Sunday).

As much as I really don’t like South Beach in general I must say I loved the water. The beach itself is ok, though I am not particularly excited by wide sandy beaches. The water on the other hand won me over. It was nice and warm and I could have spent the day in it.

It rained on Saturday, in something that is quickly becoming a Saturday tradition (see our Saturday in Bermuda), but then again, I LOVE swimming under the rain! Saturday night we had a beer at Mango's and watched the go go dancers gyrating on the bar. I refused to buy another drink if a guy did not climb on that bar pronto. It did not happen soon enough so we left, had a nice dinner there on Ocean Drive and were back to the hotel early enough.

Sunday we hit the beach again and I stayed in the water until M.A. was completely fed up with waiting for me. We crossed the street over to a restaurant and had some nice munchies and a very nice cocktail on a table on the sidewalk before returning to the hotel. He had a nap. I was a little hyper so I went down to the gym and spent a little over an hour on the treadmill and the elliptical machine. Then we switched, he went to the gym, I went back to the room, though I did not nap.

The verdict? My previous opinion holds: I do not like Miami. Or at least, I don’t like what I know of Miami. I find the South Beach meat market particularly depressing. People walk up and down and strut their stuff but there have not much to strut. They are really not much to look at. There were certainly a few pretty girls and a handful of really gorgeous ones, but the guys were a disgrace. I saw maybe a couple of decent looking ones in three days. Barely enough to keep me breathing. I could go to Chelsea right now or in the middle of the day and risk a heart attack with at least twenty drop-dead pretty boys. The bars and restaurants are mostly of the tourist trap variety.

All this does not translate into me not enjoying the week-end, because I actually did. Traveling with M.A. has an easy comfy rhythm to it that's very enjoyable. He's very attentive and very well mannered (I am one of those people for whom lousy table manners are a true problem and for whom opening or not opening a door might make it or break it). There never seems to be any need to negotiate anything and I never feel like I am doing something I’d rather not be doing (that’s my feeling - his version might be totally different). This is particularly important to me because I can be a raging bitch if I feel I am being bullied into doing things I don't like doing or I am just not in the mood for. I am also a lousy companion when I am bored and unfortunately I get bored very easily. I am aware that no matter how much you like or love somebody, incompatibility issues tend to arise fairly quick on a trip, even just a week-end trip. If you are spending every waking hour with somebody, chances are you will be dreaming about murder fast enough. Somehow, I have yet to mentally practice hitting M.A.'s head with a baseball bat (believe me, I have been known to entertain such reveries with other people). But the truth is I’d rather express all this harmony somewhere else. Miami is not a place I will go back to any time soon.

Plans are on the way now for East Hampton next Saturday, Laguna Beach, CA at the end of the month, maybe Mexico at the beginning of September. Then M.A. will be gone and I will be researching suicide methods, deciding whether to down a couple of vials of something, jump out of a window or shoot myself right smack in the forehead. Fact is I will most probably turn into a hectic hyperkinetic machine, spending every single evening at the gym, taking a succession of endorphin-producing dance classes. Marc is now exploring new teachers and classes and he will be my faithful companion comes falls. I will probably go back to swimming too. And I might take some polymer clay classes.

Right now all I want is to sleep.

11:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives