WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Tuesday, May 04, 2004  

The March

OK, a little late but here's my take. I know it's supposed to be cool to be pro choice. I know you're suspected of being either a bigot or a woman hater if you are pro life. But I don't like to be labeled. I am pro life and certainly not religious nor conservative.
My personal opinion is: I don't know when life starts, so I prefer to err on the safe side.
I would not shoot a two-years-old if I went bankrupt and could not feed him, I would not shoot him if I got a divorce and could not provide a father figure, I would not shoot him if he was maimed in an accident, I would not shoot him for his own good.
There is something about the very concept of women's reproductive rights that I find disturbing. As a woman I am biologically capable of carrying a human being within me (and frankly, this is one the things that makes us so damn superior) so it's not only about my rights as a woman but about the rights of the unborn who, by the way, is the perfect victim. It has no right to vote, no economic power nor value. You can eliminate him without so much as a peep.
As a woman I cannot understand pushing for abortion rights, turning from victims into victimizer. As a woman I'd like to push for a society that welcomes children, a society that would offer both women and men the means to raise their offsprings. I want the money to go to day care centers, not abortion clinics. Sex education not the promotion of selfishness.
I've never got it when friends would tell me about their understanding boyfriends who, upon hearing about their pregnancy, would hand out the money for an abortion. I would find it insulting. I have a problem being grateful if all you can come up with is the dough to shove the problem away.
I also strongly believe in a responsible sexual life. Personally, I am not opposed to swinging from a chandelier if the mood strikes but then only between consenting adults, emphasis on adults. If you are not an adult willing to face the consequences of your actions then you have no business screwing around.
If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Rosario dixit.

For a while I thought I was the only one on Earth (well, with my sister) to be both profoundly liberal and yet anti-abortion, then I came across Nat Hentoff, who can hardly be considered a fascist, and his much more eloquent opinion on the subject. For the record, I agree with him completely.

Sore all over

Took a funk class today. It's getting much better now. I can follow better and thus enjoy it more.
Now I am just one giant yet happy muscle pain.
I must focus now and finish a text I have to get to the office early tomorrow.

11:44 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives