WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Saturday, March 20, 2004  

untitledAllow me to brag

and please allow me to brag again


You are now reading the blog, the very head juice, straight from my brain to this webpage through my fingertips and a few technicalities, of an UN 21 awardee. What's the UN 21 Awards thingy? Tzk Tzk. Such ignorance on your part. You should be ashamed.

Introduced in 1996 by the Secretary-General, the UN 21 AWARDS were established as part of the management reform effort. The award provides recognition and special thanks to staff members for outstanding achievements in improving efficiency.

I am part of a technological advisory group that, when I joined, was basically comprised of six geeks meeting in the cafeteria. Now we are officially recognized and, should I add, globally admired and revered. One of us, an extraordinary guy with a mind that's always all over the place, came up with a great idea the details of which I will not disclose - first and foremost because geek stuff is pretty uninteresting to non geeks and then because I' d like to keep my job and the safest way to do so is not to blog about it. Anyway, as a team we all pitched in and again, as a team with fine emotional intelligence and a knack for milking an opportunity, we presented the project and well ... won. Got it? WON!!!!

Just a little more bragging

Our project was one of 78 submitted in 2003 from across the global Secretariat. It was selected as a winner in the category of "outstanding knowledge management initiative" and, mind you, was the only IT award designed and carried out by amateurs.

So yesterday was the award ceremony. With Kofi da' man himself. I was a little apprehensive and concerned that it might turn into one long self-congratulatory pompous affair. I was wrong. It was fast paced, unrehearsed and heartwarming. I especially appreciated all my coworkers crowding the seats of the auditorium and clapping like crazy. Kofi Annan could not ignore my celebrity status and when I got to shake his hand he commented on what a popular staff member I was. I answered something very humble like "Yes, of course" and beamed a few seconds on stage for the mandatory picture before the the lights went off on my brief 15 minutes of fame.

Back to planet earth now. Gotta hop to the pharmacy to get antibiotics in preparation of my dental implants surgery on Monday. Talk about a reality check.

In other headlines

JP will be arriving sometime tomorrow afternoon and departing sometime on Wednesday. I sure won't get a husband overdose anytime soon.

Today I shall take Melissa to the movies and then babysit Cecilia's kids in the evening. Tomorrow I will refuse to speak to anyone under 5 feet.

12:06 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives