WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Sunday, February 29, 2004  

untitledThe ballet was fantastic. Blaise, another friend of Pam's, who used to be a dancer for Bejart, recommend it to her as the best thing that has hit Washington in 10 years. In the afternoon we met Ulrike for a walk and she gave us a couple of tickets, very good seats, up front to the left. The dancing was spectacular, especially the little Japanese boy. As for the piece, I thought the first part was fine but it did not nothing for me emotionally. Then the second act came along and it blew my mind.
It seems that Tamara, Nijinsky's daughter, who is well into her 80s and lives in Phoenix, Arizona (well, she Romola's - Nijinsky's wife - daughter, either with him or with an alleged lover) went to see the piece in Costa Mesa and was overcomed with emotion. It was a very moving experience for her and for the company, in particular for John Neumeier, the choreographer and the world's biggest collector of Nijinsky's things..
After the performance Pam and I went out for dinner with Ulrike and Janis and had a grand time. We were particularly appreciative of the answer to the very first question we had for her. Knowing us it had nothing to do with the rendering of Nijinski's tortured soul or the pain of his brother's death. The first question was a straightforward "What percentage of the company's dancers are gay?". To our disbelief, only a three or four are. The rest of those gorgeous bodies belong to straight men. But then I had a strong middle-age moment when they came on stage at the end of the performance and the only thing going through my mind was "Boy, they are just kids!".

Before meeting Ulrike, Pam and I went to her parents'. I love visiting them. Her mother, Scottie is adorable and they have the most interesting friends. Yersterday Mrs. S., one of my favourites, was there. She is the Italian by birth and she is the widow of one of Ralph's friends in the foreign service. She is almost 80 and a riot. We had the most spirited discussion about Kerry, and Bush, and sexual harassment. At the end Scottie told me it's a pity I don't live next door to me and I have to agree.

I should get up now, post this entry through a wireless unprotected network I've sniffed and get going. I have to cook for tonight.

11:11 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives