WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Saturday, February 21, 2004  

untitledGet up already!

Aside comment: After years of perfect manicures I totally destroyed my fingernails yesterday. My fingertips hurt and I feel like a total loser.

Back to the fascinating life:

A bunch of us went out for a an extended happy hour yesterday. Some of us - Pilar, Maria, Yamile and I - stayed until 3.30 AM or so.
Lively conversation, juicy gossip. The way it's supposed to be,

Now it's proving quite difficult to get out of bed. It's almost 6:00 PM and I have spent almost two hours on the phone with Pam planning my next trip to D.C. for our annual Oscar-awards-ceremony-watching dinner party and how she is going to get J., a guy she is seeing, to take us out for drinks and Arab music next Saturday.
I have a birthday party in a couple of hours for the kid of a coworker. First I have to manage to get out of bed, then I have to go out and buy him a present and then shlep over to Roosevelt Island, a place that I quite frankly detest.
Tomorrow it's the Sex and the City Memorial Party and I am supposed to cook for it.

As fits my personality, I am the semiofficial social events planner at work.
For social events I intend bar outings and the office parties. The French movies, the operas at the Met and the book signings are all out of my realm.
I am also kind of a one-woman welcoming committee for new colleagues. If they let me I can figure out their whole lives for them. That's just who I am. Bossy and opinionated. Let me in and I will decide where's best for you to live, what you should eat and who you should be seeing. Give me a little more leeway and I will make sure to let you know who you should be sleeping with and exactly what you should be doing with them. The good part (well, I like to think I am not all bad) is that I do not require blind obedience. Not only that, I can even take being completely ignored.. You can tell me to get lost and that will be fine by me. But I digress ..
So I love organizing things and I don't totally stink at it.
Yet, sometimes I feel like I am hauling cattle.
Some people are unfailingly well-mannered and always rsvp.
Others it does not matter whether they do it or not because you know they will always be there. The first to come, the last to go.
But then there a few with an annoying sense of entitlement.
They never bother to say anything and you are left with the nagging feeling that they are waiting for something much better to come along. If it's a happy hour it does not matter much but when it's a party and you are trying to figure out the food and the booze and the perfect guest combination it's one hell of a pain in the butt.
It's difficult to strike the perfect balance. I want to keep these gatherings as loose, open and flexible as possible but then again, basic social skills would be appreciated.

6:04 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives