WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Thursday, February 19, 2004  

Better living through chemistry

I would love to be able to do cocaine. I know I would fall in love with it. No need for food, no need for sleep. Invincibility.
Unfortunately I also know I would quickly be snorting it 24/7. An instant addict.
This painful awareness is the only reason that has kept me from trying hard drugs. I am not against them in principle. I can't say I see any wrong in good ol' recreational use. But while an extreme personality is a wonderful thing to have and I would not trade my penchant for excess for any kind of perfectly yin-yang balanced boring mood, I know that drugs are off limits for me. At least the ones that matter. I have no inclination towards narcotics. I don't want to dull anything. I like to enhance. This is probably what has helped me not turn into a babbling drunk: I love the heightened reality of the first few drinks. I am really not interested in the drowsiness. And I am not interested in keeping the drowsiness at bay with more booze because I strongly dislike vomiting. Voilá. A very rational functional alcoholic manifesto.

I used to smoke cigarettes. When I quit cold turkey I was going through three packs of red Marlboros a day. And of course I inhaled deeply, hardly letting out any smoke. If you are going to do it you might as well do it right.
As a teenager, the first time I went from skinny skinny to relatively big a doctor prescribed Tenuate Dospan. I remember all the side effects fondly: the restlessness, the nervousness, the dry mouth. I love that feeling of having electricity running through my body. Same kind of feeling I had when I lived on caffeine and nicotine. Now I get my rush from hot chili peppers. I am not sure this can be considered a step in the right direction though.

11:21 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives