WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Friday, January 16, 2004  

While the world is freezing out there I've been tucked in bed playing with the computer for nearly 7 hours now. Sometimes you have to wonder. Did I have a life before computers? What about before the Internet? I remember when I first saw a resemblance of a computer. A tiny little thing that looked more like a calculator. I was working as a secretary to a bunch of engineers and I was not supposed to touch it. I did, of course, every chance I got. All I could do was make it type "hello" or something as sophisticated as that. Then my first PC. An IBM System II. Dos. No Windows. Love at first sight. And the first time I went on-line. The Web was yet to come. Everything was text-based. Lots of telnet, lots of gopher. And IRC. I think I published my first personal webpage on January 1997 (there are still bits and pieces lying around on the Net).

So here I am tonight. I downloaded a BitTorrent client and started playing around with it. I also downloaded VideoLan, as per Dani's advice.

Mark Bernstein sent me a message yesterday. He tracks links to Tinderbox via Technorati and in so doing found this blog. I sent him my poor little iKey shortcut. I feel like I've contributed to the cause now.

So ... I am almost on my way now. I will be flying back on Friday 30th, arriving on Sat. 31st. Sunday is my birthday and I found out today that Monday Feb. 2 is a holiday. Perfect. I might be recovering from an all-night party or I might be depressed out of my mind hiding in some corner.

Today I also found out that I have an inordinate amount of unused days off. A whole lot of long week-ends are awaiting me this year! Besides, Don is going to Italy this year and asked me if I wanted to meet them over there. I just might.

1:10 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives