WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Wednesday, January 28, 2004  

On my way back, running low on batteries. I am, once again, directly under the AC vent, across from the bar, on this boat that's taking me to Montevideo. Liliana will pick me up at the port and I hope to have a decent girl's nite out later on.
I called my sister about seeing her tomorrow and maybe today and she very nonchalantly said "OK, tomorrow then" . Now I don't know if I have been blessed with a particularly disfunctional family or if this is normal procedure. Actually, I know the truth lies somewhere in between. Lots of families are worse than mine and lots are a lot better or, say, normal.
The bets are on whether I'll get a present from her for my birthday. It is my duty, as her older sister, to show up with gifts every time I see her. I have to call her (I don't think she has ever called me, except for some family emergency and then she usually leaves a message for me to call her back). I have to pay her way when we go out. Wine her and dine her.
At the beginning I did it because she was so much younger and it felt natural but now I realize I've created a monster - a skill that runs in my family. She takes everything I do for granted. .
Obviously she forgot JP's birthday, same as my mother. Mind you, this is a guy who has always been at their beck and call from day one. Why is it that some people, and so many people in my immediate family, have this sense of entitlement?
I went to see my mother last week. I walked in as a surprise, she went "Oh!" and then proceeded to dump on me a couple of hours of relentless complaining, the same exact gripes I get weekly over the phone. A little over two hours into this agony - I don't think she ever asked me how I was doing and I don think I ever got to talk except for a "Sure" , "Aha" or "Really?" now and then - her shrink arrived and she snapped her fingers at me and told me I knew what I had to do, as in "time to go now". I got up, the shrink remarked on my level of energy which is something I am very proud of and that is never more apparent than when I have to leave my mother's place. I said she had thrown me out, he replied that that wasn't his interpretation. Ugh.
The moment the guy walked in she stopped whining and started smiling. She's probably in the middle of one of those doctor/patient infatuations. What are they called?
I should not complain I know. On one hand, complaining turns me into another unbearable nagger and on the other these lousy relationships are as much my fault as theirs. Torn between not rocking the boat and raising major hell I choose to do nothing. Mea culpae.

The good thing about going to Montevideo - yes, even this experience has a positive side - is going out with my girlfriends. There's Liliana, the psychologist with the new boobs, Gabriela, the one who thinks her kid might be from outer space, and Miriam. Nobody can accuse me of having dull friends. Liliana is a teetotaler but she has owned and manned a bar, among the hundreds of things she has done. She almost got married recently but then reconsidered. She goes through men like I go through hair colors. She is very very bright and funny and a great friend to her friends. Gabriela is gorgeous but so nice you can actually forgive he. She too is a lot of fun and a little wacko. She teaches philosophy and has this new agey conception of the world. She can stare at you in the face and without any sarcasm talk about her latest astral trip, the color of somebody's aura or little Martians. The good thing is that she has a sense of humor about it so and doesn't mind if I roll on the floor laughing. Oh, and she is sex obsessed too, which is something I share with most of my girlfriends. Well, I am the barking kind who hardly ever bites but boy do I bark! Miriam is Liliana's sister, the girl who introduced me to JP way back when, and the mother of one of those kids I really like, Ro, who is now 15, extremely tall and talented and who will probably be designing a new front page in Flash for my site.

7:35 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives