WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Monday, December 08, 2003  

This past weekend was the weekend we were supposed to go to Breckenridge, CO. This past weekend was the weekend we stayed in NY and made believe we were in Breckenridge, CO.
Thursday evening we ended up going out in different groups, to accomodate all tastes. It was Cecilia's first night out with us and she seemed to be really enjoying herself.
Friday both M.A. and I had taken the day off to pack, rest, get ready, etc. He called me in the morning, sick, with a fever, not sure he was going to be able to travel. Talk about an auspicious start! Obviously I would not have any of it and made it clear that unless he was dying I was ready to go drag him out of bed by his hair. Then the snow started really coming down. By the time he got home there was a major storm going on. Monse did go to work but was off before 3 PM . I tried calling a car but none were available. Regular cabs were impossible to find. We had to walk down to Central Station and get on a bus to Laguardia. The bus took forever both because it was stuck in traffic and because it kept stopping every few minutes to let people out once they were past their scheduled flight times or their flights were canceled. We called our airline and the airport and were repeatedly assured our flight was right on schedule, a fact we strongly doubted. We got to the airport at 5.20 PM for our 5.40 flight to Denver. Obviously the airport was closed and our flight had been redirected to Albany. The chances of us leaving that evening were very slim and even if we could have left it would have been too late to actually enjoy the weekend. After being assured we could use the airline tickets for a year and the hotel reservations until the end of the skiing season, we decided to get back to Manhattan. Not an easy task. We froze our butts for an hour waiting for a bus. We got in a bus. The bus broke down. We got into another bus and finally made it back. All the while M.A. was looking sicker and sicker and every time I looked at him I felt guilty.
In the end we were very lucky because our bus was the last to leave the airport. Lots of people were stranded there for the night. Anyways, I had a plan B. I had tracked down Johanny at a party and he was already sending his friend Melville with his car to pick us up. I still can't believe he would do that. Drive an hour in a major snowstorm to come get us at the airport. It's very comforting to know you got friends like that. Not to mention Cecilia, who waited for me with a delicious homemade dinner.

Satuday morning. By the time I got out of the shower M.A. was already at my place and pretty much alive, ready to go. Great, I got to wear my new snow outfit! We spent the whole day in Central Park, under heavy heavy snow. It was drop dead gorgeous. Arresting beauty. We never had a snowman competition but we did our share of playing in the snow. I am a sucker for the snow and a sucker for anything clearly infantile. Lunch at the Boathouse was spectacular and then we went to the ice skating rink. He wanted to ice skate, I had strong reservations but what the hell, ice skate we did. I must say I was impressed. I never let go of the rail and, when available, grabbed just about anybody who was willing to be grabbed and some who were not. Even so, I ended up with my ass on the ground an inordinate number of times. He, on the other hand, after his share of undignified falls, ended up skating in the middle on the rink. He even managed a few silly dance steps. I am consumed with envy.

Yesterday was another beautiful day, sunny and cold. We went downtown to return the skiing pants I bought last week, had a drink on Union Square and came back uptown for brunch/dinner at a Greek place. By the time I got home I was absolutely exhausted and achy. But boy did I enjoy the first snow in the city! I am ready to buy a sleigh!

It's Monday now. It's Anastasia's (Cecilia's eldest daughter) first day of school. I'll have to wake them up in a few minutes.

Today is THE day: I am getting my new iBook!

6:01 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives