WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Friday, November 21, 2003  

Just in case I needed another label, I can now define myself as a flexitarian, after a couple of years of almost hard core veganism (well, I had fish but no milk or eggs, which means I probably was a pescetarian).

So about this Gary guy I met at UPW. Big guy, former football and basketball player. Married to his high-school sweetheart, whom he knows since 2nd grade. He started his own nursery business with some ridiculous amount of money, say 200 bucks, and makes several millions a year now, with something like a couple hundred employees. He also started a food programme at his company when he noticed some of the guys were not eating properly. Not content with just taking caring of business, he is also on the lecture circuit to teach people how to have happy employees and coaches both a basketball team and a high-school girls' soccer team - both several times champions. Talk about accomplishments. His daughter started her first business at 12, running it from a computer at home. His son same kind of thing. On top of that they are all half-deaf and looking forward to complete deafness in the future. He now wants to start a childrens' programme to teach Tony's technologies to kids. Five minutes into a conversation with this guy and I felt like a blob of useless humanity.
He was at UPW as a volunteer and he has signed up for special needs assignment too. At the beginning I did not remember him but when he told me about his nursery business it all came back. He was one of the "special needs" people I took care of last year. He needed to sit at a certain angle so he could lipread Tony and hear him too. It sure felt good to have him back so soon.

Yesterday after the falling men incidents we were talking with M.A. about the passive versus active attitudes. He said I seemed to know what to do while he didn't really know. Fact is I had no idea what to do. I really waited for the alpha male, or female. I usually sniff the air for the "leader" but if none shows up I have no choice but to step up. And when you step up you just play the part. I am just as clueless as the next person but I act as if I knew. I try to think what would I do if I knew what to do. I totally believe the person with the most certainty wins and you can fake certainty if the situation calls for it. It's amazing how it's all about common sense most of the time and how when you just do what feels right it usually is.
I don't think I am defending a phony posture in life but I am convinced that one must decide what kind of person one wants to be and then play the part of that person. It's all about raising your standards. Having said that I also have to confess how pitifully short of my own expectations I come most of the time.

Great ... I am going home ...

12:12 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives