WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Saturday, November 29, 2003  

I am not sure whether I'll take Melissa out tomorrow or Sunday. What I know is that I should come up with better activities for us to do. Right now we are stuck up in a movies routine. Not that I think there's anything wrong with the movies. Actually, I think there is a lot to be said about them. They are magical and they transport you to other worlds and other experiences. Just like books. OK, so I take her to bookstores too and buy her an occasional book. Problem is I certainly take her to the drugstore to buy lip gloss a lot more often. Again, nothing wrong with lip gloss. Lip gloss is an essential part of any girl's life. You can't live without lip gloss. Or hair products. Maybe I should take her to a museum, but I hate museums. The stuffiness, the dullness! Should I make her do things that I don't like just because they are supposed to be good for you? I did take her to the Metropolitan once, to a medieval exhibition, if I remember correctly. Prior to that I had been to the Met twice, and one of the times I went almost directly to the bar on the terrace. I love the museum itself, I find the building gorgeous, but the art does not move me at all. Much of what's in there is really not my style and I have zero patience for staring at paintings. I can hardly believe I am the same person that (or should it be "whom"?), as a child, would spend hours looking at other people's paintings and painting myself. Something happened to me with the hormonal upheaval of adolescence that made me a much happier person but an infinitely less erudite one.
I also took Melissa to the Museum of Natural History once and that was way more interesting. But should I make museum going a recurring occurrence? Should I get her into one of those classes for kids at the Met? Am I supposed to "cultivate" her? Am I supposed to expose her to what is usually perceived as culture? I still think I am just supposed to spend time with her and listen to her when she feels like talking, not even pushing her to talk to me. Her mother said that I take her out more than I am required to do and that she is thankful for that. Still, I got the nagging impression that I should do more.

I am still at work now, waiting for Mario so we can go out for a nightcap.

12:46 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives