WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Monday, October 13, 2003  

So much to blog, so little time. I will have to limit myself to the latest news for now.
Saturday was the day everybody went back home (except for Pam, who arrived).
Jose went first, then Jimena and Chocho and Elen. The last three (JP, Miguel Angel and Dieguito) were driven to the airport by Raul in the late afternoon. Their flight was scheduled for 10.00 or 10.30 PM. At 11.30 PM I get a phone call from the airport. The flight was cancelled or, more accurately, delayed until 8 AM on Sunday. They were all coming back to the apartment to spend the night. Pam and I waited and waited and waited. They got here at past 3 AM with awful stories of aggravation from American Airlines employees. Somehow this does not surprise me. Passengers were not given a voucher for a hotel stay so most people had to spend the night at the airport. They did receive a voucher for a ride back into the city but had to wait over two hours for the vans to show up. Also, American Airlines called the cops on the angry passengers, in a wonderful display of custom care. Needless to say, we will send a somewhat peeved letter of complaint.
So they arrive home, sleep about 3 hours, go back to the airport, finally board the plane, fly a few hours, then there�s smoke in the cabin and have to have an emergency landing in Porto Rico (and go through all the emergency drill before, of course). So much for avoiding stress after a heart procedure.
By the way, it's October 12, one of our anniversaries. It's either 25 or 26 years since we first met. On October 15 it's 25 or 26 years since we started dating and later on in October (I never remember the date) it's 15 or 16 years since we married. It was also three years since my father died.
Saturday night I decided to stay home. Monse was having a little dinner party but I was really not in the mood. The combination of things this past week plus a very intense PMS and the thought of having to negociate anything, even something as simple as "Where should we go now?" was beyond me. I wanted to chill at home and eat in front of the TV and that's exactly what I did, with Pam. A huge salad, bread, cheese, babaganoush and red wine. Perfect happiness.
M.A. called sometime early on Sunday afternoon and we popped in at the Opal Bar for a beer before going downtown to the Greenwich Brewing Co., a place he had been to but I had yet to discover. I tried a pumpkin brew, which I liked, and a berry brew, which I loved. Monse and a friend of hers visiting from Spain joined us and later on Pam, R. (a friend of hers I know from D.C.) and K., her friend, an investigator from the Department of Justice. Yikes! Hide the drugs!
We had something to drink, something to eat and then slowly started to walk uptown, with a stop at Whole Foods for some grocery shopping. It came in very handy because I've been in a mojito craving phase for a while now and we found limes and spearmint so we can prepare them at home. Then M.A. split and Pam, R. and I went to this guy's apartment in Chelsea. The place is very nice but the best thing by far is the spectacular private terrace with a North view. Part of the terrace has been converted into a dining room, enclosed in glass walls. There are plants all over the place and beautiful white furniture. Absolutely lovely.
The guy's dean of a well-known University and he is very well respected. Too bad it was instant dislike on my part. Something very snobby and vulgar about him put me off immediately. Pam was teling me that had I talked about my background he would probably have been interested. I am sure he would have and that's exactly why I did not bother. I've been around people like that too long. I particularly disliked the demeaning, sarcastic way he treated K., the investigator. OK, the guy might not have been brilliant - he was no fool either, probably just a guy who has not had a lot of exposure - but I despise people who use their supposedly intellectual superiority to make fun of others. People were coming and going, staying for a drink or to grab a bite. I love that. I've always tried to make my home an open house too. Some of the people were very interesting, most of them Lebanese. I spent a lot of time talking to an extremely nice guy built like a bodybuilder, very outgoing, very articulate and very sweet - an extremely attractive combination.
Now it's Monday, I am still very premenstrual, I look like a balloon and I feel like eating nothing but chocolate and ice-cream, but it's a gorgeous day and life ain't half bad and I should really just shut up and stop bitching.

2:22 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives