WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Monday, October 06, 2003  

OK, why wait? Lets blog ...

By the time I was done at work on Friday night I had to deal with two major desertions: M.A. was tired and my niece was sleeping. There goes a Friday night. And I had not been out for a whole week. I was getting claustrophobic.

On Saturday my mother-in-law (Chocho) and sister-in-law (Elen) came over for lunch. M.A. called while I was food shopping with Jimena so we did have a short stop at a neighborhood pub before I got home to feed the family. After lunch Elen and Chocho left and Jimena and I snuggled in my bed to watch TV and doze off while waiting for Jose to arrive. He did, eventually, hours after he was supposed to.

In the evening Jose, Jimena and I met M.A. at the Divine Bar for drinks and tapas before going downtown to the Asylum and the Red Lyon where we were joined by Pilar, Paulino, Miguel, Monse and her friend and Nicolas (it is starting to feel like I live in Spain, not NYC).

The Red Lyon was OK, though I find the place too white for me. White music, white patrons. After a while good ol' rock gets on my nerves and instead of white girls shaking their heads I yearn for big brothers gyrating their hips.

Not that the paleness surrounding me kept me from staying until the very end, until the bouncers turned on the lights and started getting on our case for us to finish our drinks and get out of there fast. It really bugs me to be told to leave a place. If I am allowed to buy a drink I should be able to consume it at my pace without being forced to swallow it all down in one gulp. But because I don't see the point of getting into a fight with an obnoxious bouncer all I really wanted was to forget about my vodka and orange and leave. To me, the whole point of going out is to have fun and relax - aggravation is not on my list of favorite things for a Saturday night.

By then it was just me, M.A., Monse and her friend. I have no idea how much time we spent outside the bar debating whether to go somewhere else or, more like it, how much time these poor people had to spend listening to me blabbering about how much I wanted to go somewhere else. Needless to say, as soon as I got into a cab I realized the obvious: I was way too tired and probably too wasted to do anything but go home.

I was so tired that I never heard J.P, Miguel Angel (another Miguel Angel, this one is J.P.'s cousin - it's very unnerving when people you know share the same name, it gets confusing - for instance, I've lost track of how many Javiers I know at the moment) and his son Dieguito. Seems they arrived around 7.30 AM. Seems J.P. came into the room three times to try to wake me up. Seems I sat up on the bed and had a conversation with him. I can't remember a thing and from what he told me I told him it's pretty clear I was asleep and hallucinating. So this saint I married (he was a saint today but this does not mean he enjoys sainthood statuts on a permanent basis nor that he will be considered a saint a few hours from now), having just spent 11 hours on a plane plus hours going to and from airports, took it upon himself to round up everybody (including Jimena and Jose) and get them all out of the house so as to not inconvenience my sleep.
By the time they got back it was past 2 PM and I had just emerged from the shower. So now we are all on different time zones, they all scatter to have a little siesta, I am left wide awake munching on cheese and salad.
In the evening we all reconnect with Elen and Chocho and have dinner at Planet Hollywood which is a place it has never crossed my mind to have dinner at. The food is seriously atrocious. I could not bring myself to order anything on the menu. I ended up having a bruschetta (and even then I did not eat the sauce and I did not eat the whole thing) and a side order of very soggy coleslaw.

Short stop at Virgin's on Broadway (I don't think J.P. has ever come to NYC without stopping at least once at the DVD section of Virgin's) and we get back home. Now everybody is sleeping and have been sleeping for hours. I am so awake I am starting to think they laced my soda with cocaine.

J.P.'s seeing his doctor tomorrow. I am getting uneasy now. Well meaning friends are sending me supportive e-mails that only manage to trigger apprehension. It'd better be Wednesday fast.

2:39 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives