WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Tuesday, September 02, 2003  

It was a real dim sum. I flipped through my old Zagat and decided we should go check out the Golden Unicorn. It does not have the best of reviews but who cares, I never agree with reviewer's anyway. It certainly is a big, fun, crowded place. When we got there we were almost scared away by the crowd waiting downstairs. They were giving out numbers and it looked like there was going to be a long wait but we had good dim sum karma and were sent directly upstairs to the 3rd floor. Lots of Asians were munching around us, including a cute as a botton little Chinese girl in a Chinese red dress. I could have kidnapped her. Pity they turn out so ugly once they grow up (believe me, I took a hard look at her parents).
The food was good except for the revolting chicken feet and pork God-knows-what that I did not even dare to bite into but almost made M.A. barf. Take a look at the picture so you remember what not to order.



Unfortunately I got to see this guy at a nearby table with the chicken feet hanging out from his lips. A truly disgusting sight.

After lunch we went for an espresso at Sal's on Broome St. It had been almost a couple of years since my last coffee (well, I did have one last week at work but only because I was freezing) and I have to admit this one was worth it. After the espresso we split until the evening.

In the evening we went out with Raul, Gemma, Nuria and Mirella. We started at Panchito's for margaritas and a bite and then stopped at Kenny's Castaway before heading to the bar next door to the Red Lion's.
At Kenny's they wanted to charge us an admission fee but after some brilliant negotiating we went in for free. The brilliant negotiation had probably a lot less to do with our skills and a lot more to do with the city being absolutely deserted.
Next yeat I have to make sure I am out of town for Labour Day.

As for the bar next to the Red Lion, we've been there about three times now and the place is fine, not trendy, more like a dive with a pool table in the back. Because they do not have a cabaret licence people are not supposed to dance but the music is good and a "No dancing allowed" sign has never stopped anybody.

Today I picked up Melissa at 10 and later on met Gemma, her sister and friend in Times Square to get our photo taken for the HSBC Starring You big screen. Basically, they take a picture of you and then attached it to a cartoon character and display it on a huge screen on top of a building. They keep doing it for a month so if you happen to walk around Time Square look up and enjoy my 15 seconds of fame.

At 2 PM Melissa and I went to see Freddy vs. Jason. Not scary at all but funny in a very cheesy way.
On one of our taxi rides today the cabdriver asked me is she was my daughter "because we look alike". Some people come up with funny lines, really. Melissa and I are as different as two people can be. Not only we do not have one single matching feature but she is dark-skinned with dark hair and dark eyes. I have the coloring of a a well-fed pig and blue eyes. Yet, when I dropped her back at her place in the afternoon another cab driver asked me is she was my child. Go figure.

12:49 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives