WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Monday, September 15, 2003  

I am starting to think that Pilar, like vampires with mirrors, cannot be seen at airports. This is the second time I miss her at Newark's.
Monse and I met at Penn Station a little over 1 PM to catch the Amtrak train (I took a cab from home and had the most decent driver ever: he stopped the meter less than halfway through the ride because we were stuck in traffic and he did not think it was fair for me to pay so much - kudos to him!) and we were at the aiport by 1.50 PM. Pilar was leaving or had just left but we never knew it. We stayed and waited and waited. At 3.15, totally perplexed, we took the bus back to the city and went for a bite a block from Pilar's, calling her on the phone every few minutes to see if she was home. Eventually, realizing that she was not answering the calls but the answering machine was not picking them up either, I thought maybe the phone was not working again - it has happened frequently these last weeks. At 5 PM we walked to her place, asked her doorman and lo and behold, she had arrived hours earlier, was home and the phone was out of service! She had probably broken a world record, racing through immigration and customs in under half an hour, and had slipped out of the aiport while we were arriving.
So we hang out at her place for a while and left by 8 PM. I was falling asleep so I came home, slept a little while, watched and taped Sex and the City and worked a bit.


I got an e-mail from Leroy, one of my housemates from DWD in Hilton Head. I have thought of him and the rest of the gang frequently but had lost their addresses so I was overjoyed to hear from him. Can't wait to read an update of his life.

As for Saturday, the party was at La Nacional and one of the bars we went to was the Karma Club. This is a tobacco bar so my clothes reek of cigarette smoke now. Still, I liked the place. The rest of the bars, at least three of them, I don't recall. What I do remember is the doorman greeting me with a "Good dawning" or words to that effect. Actually, I think it was "Bien amanecida" and I found myself almost explaining my nocturnal habits to him.
The party itself was wonderful. Marta (Dario's wife) had planned every single detail. I really hope they keep on loving each other forever because her ability to sneak behind his back might be a dangerous things down the road. It was a surprise party and he had not the faintest inkling of what was coming. After the first shock of walking into a place all decorated for his b-day, he was blindfolded and made to guess who some of the guests were. He had no clue, obviously and was in for another major shock: three of his best friends had flown in from Bilbao to be there with him! There were posters with Dario's picture. The were video greetings on a Vaio. There was sangria and wine and beer and plenty of tapas. There was flamenco dancing. A very strange flamenco dancing, indeed. One of the dancers looked like Popeye's girlfriend and should maybe devote her life to another activity, the other was Asian and a much better dancer.

1:53 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives