WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Monday, September 22, 2003  

Good news: I have an aisle seat and nobody's in the window seat beside me.
Bad news: to my left, in two four-seats rows there are 3 mothers with a toddler each.
Lets see how it goes.
The iPod is playing relaxation sounds. It is a little strange to be in a plane surrounded by the sounds of a thunderstorm, but I love it. My Sony noise canceling earphones help a lot too.
I've checked the airline magazine and one of the movies featured tonight is the Matrix Reloaded. Yay!
So ...
Going back to Buenos Aires on Sunday was a struggle. As usual we did it in JP's time, which means we got to the boat 2 minutes before departure. And when I say 2 minutes I mean 2 minutes, as in exactly 160 seconds. Lucky for us the guys at the ticket counter know him very well and they waited for us.
We had dinner at a friend's restaurant and I decided to have meat. My twice a year meat and what better place to have it than Buenos Aires? JP and I shared a piece of corpse. I ate maybe a third of my half. Had I tried to eat the whole thing I would have probably needed hospitalization.
Today we had lunch together at a great reastaurant called Il Gran Caruso. The decor is nice, it's situated in a great area, the food is spectacular and the owner is a very cordial man. Once a week he has people singing opera on the patio. Thank God it was not today.
As usual, a little fight here, a little argument there, and by the time we have to part ways again things are smoothed out and it sucks to leave. He will come to NYC pretty soon though, for his stent procedure.
I am sitting on the wing, this things should not be shaking as much, damn it!
Sunday we had lunch at my mother's, with my sister and her husband. It ended with JP trying out my mom's pellet gun.
I had barely time to get back to the hotel and see Liliana for a few minutes before leaving to Colonia to catch the boat back to Buenos Aires.
I am glad to report that Liliana' s husband-to-be has a magnificent body. Not that I had a chance to take a good look (I mostly saw him sitting down at a table but I did indeed notice the nice square shoulders), but she assures me he's hot and I have no reason to doubt it. He does an hour of serious weight training every morning and then proceeds to ride a stationary bike for an hour. In the evening, every evening, he runs outdoors for another hour. He does the whole protein supplements thing too. He's getting in top shape for the wedding. Should make for an interesting honeymoon. I wonder if she would be willing to give me some intimate pictures.
The lady in the seat before me keeps leaning back and is just about to lay down on my lap. One more inch and I'll be forced to type with my teeth.
The wedding on Saturday: very classy affair. The bride looked beautiful and the groom was beaming.
Side note: one of the toddlers needs a change of diapers. Fast. Preferably before dinner.
Back to the wedding. The party was at a big event with dozens of tables. JP estimates about 350 guests. I have absolutely no clue, I can only say there were plenty of people.
I particularly loved the flower arrangements and the table decoration.
We got there while Katja was getting a hundred million photos taken outside the house. We waited inside until she was done and then I went to congratulate her. She was, as usual, very affectionate and hugged me again and again before demanding a picture of the two of us. I hope the picture finds its way to a trash can fast.
The guy behind just asked me for a pen. No problemo, but why did he had to pick his nose at that exact momentwhile talking to me?
Oh, the wedding ... J.P. and I sat down at a table of complete strangers and J.P. proceeded to talk non stop until it was time to leave or, more accurately, until they decided they had to leave. I can't believe this is the same man who hardly said a word years ago. He was the silent type then. Now it's like he has a 3-hours-speech prepared for just about any subject known to man. The economy in South East Asia? Moral decadence and the decline of religion based values? The fine points of Italian cuisine? Fashion? No issue is beyond an opinionated expose.
It is funny, in a way. He might be the only person who can shut me up. And then he will ask me wide-eyed "Is everything OK? Why are you so quiet?", like there ever was an opening for me to say anything!
Katja came to the table with her grandmother to introduce her to me. The lady was stunning, as is Katja's mom, and very nice. I am always introduced as "Katja's other mom" and it's a nice feeling. The girl is adorable.
I liked everything about the wedding except the music, which I hated with a passion. I have no idea what the hell it was but my informants tell me it's the typical wedding music in Uruguay at the moment. A disgrace. But the young crowd was going crazy, jumping up and down and screaming and sweating, so I guess I'm the one with the problem.
Liliana has promised to play real music at her wedding and she'd better not make me travel all the way from NY to not make me dance.
Is the guy behind me giving me back my pen or what?

10:21 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives