WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Sunday, July 06, 2003  

I might as well start blogging. I woke up at 4 AM and have been on the Net ever since. By now I am convinced I will not go back to sleep so before I open the latest Vanity Fair and go straight to Dominick Dunne's column and before I unplug my server in case of the big bad hackers attack, I shall proceed to a brief recount of the latest events of my fascinating, deeply spiritual life.
So ...

SATURDAY
After spending the afternoon with Pilar and buying a giant fan that should help me survive the heat wave until my ac gets repaired, I went out for a drink and dinner in the neighbourhood with M.A. and his brother. Quiet evening, was home by midnight. That would explain why I was awake by 4 AM. I am perfecting the art of sleepless living, which has always been a major aspiration of mine.

FRIDAY
Maybe I shouldn't say so myself, but the 4th of July combined-efforts party went great! I had a moment of panic at the very beginning after a quick check of the roofdeck situation revealed an alarming scene with dozens of kids and all sorts of people I had never seen in my building before crowding the space and taking over all the tables. We had to change the plan on the fly and start serving some food downstairs in the apartment so we could move up to the roofdeck just a little before the fireworks started. Shortly after they were over (and none too soon - I am coming to realize I have the attention span of a two-years-old and the whole glitzy show was a tad too long for me - half-way through it I was totally disinterested and busy chatting with Pilar and scrutinizing the neighbours) we lugged the second round of food and drinks upstairs where we took possession of a table in the smokers' section. There we stayed until 4 AM, consuming an inordinate amount of beverages, probably more than 20 bottles of wine, 32 cans of beer, several bottles of beer and a couple of bottles of tequila. In part because I wanted to avoid problems with the building's administration (sometimes it feels like I am living in a maximum security prison, with cameras all over and people watching them constantly and serving fines for all sorts of misconducts) and in part because I just can't eat without sharing and I just can't be around people without talking to them, I fed the security guard attending to our safety and chatted with the maintenance guy in charge of cleaning up after the masses had left. Everything went smoothly, the food was yummy (M.A. outdid himself and, for once, seemed happy with the results he produced), the company was fun. Again, if I might say so myself, everybody had a good time. Well, almost everybody. The jerk in the silly hat was probably too busy making stupid snotty remarks to enjoy himself, a problem he should probably discuss with his shrink. M.A.'s brother, Quique, flew in from Spain and took a cab from the airport to the party. Johanny came with Pascale, who was looking stunning, and three other girls. One of them, Caroline, is so beautiful I had to fight the urge to stone her. It did not help that she also seemed like a very sweet girl. IMHO, girls like her should be killed before puberty. The guy I had met at the gay bar on Thursday was the first one to show up at home. For a gay guy he sure was relentless in his pursuit of Monse's attention. She is interested too so this could be the birth of a beautiful friendship or, at the very least, a great lay ... I can't believe I wrote that.

THURSDAY
Enrique's party was a very, very pleasant surprise. Lots of people, lots of people I did not know, which is a plus at a party. Lots of very young, very diverse people too. There is something to be said about being the oldest person at a party (something I am quickly getting accustomed to): we just don't care about minor embarrasments and social awkwardness. We get the big picture, the big picture being that if it's a party, it's meant to be enjoyed. So I kept myself busy working the crowd, dj'ing or finding people to dj for me and clowning on the dance floor. Had a blast. Given that a couple of people asked me for my e-mail/phone number so I could go animate their parties, I think I did my part.
After the party a few of us went to Barracuda, a gay bar next door. That's were I chatted up this Swiss guy. Somehow we went directly into his need of having several children and his dislike of heavy duty grab-a-crotch kind of gay scenes. Good conversation.


Wow, this was a long post. Now I can turn my attention to Vanity Fair, maybe get some breakfast and then decide what to do today. It will probably be a shopping Sunday, given the 4th of July sales. And tonight is Sex and the City night!

5:52 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives