WebJournal - The blog will set you free
News of no interest whatsoever except to very close and patient friends and family members and maybe people with no life


Wednesday, April 02, 2003  

What a jerk! After work I went to this restaurant with my new colleague to meet a friend of hers (the same I went out with on Saturday) and friends of her. Almost all them were back from the mission in Bosnia, some having spent a couple of years, others up to 9 years. Most of them seemed nice enough but one of them was a total, complete, absolute asshole: an older guy from New Zeland, snobbish and kind of disheveled. The first thing he said to me, after ignoring me for quite a while, was that he had a friend whose Ph. D. thesis was about why Uruguay had failed as a country while New Zealand had been successful. Because I never think of myself as an Uruguayan I didn't take much offense at this stupid conversation opener. I just informed him that the premise was questionable while thinking to myself "What an idiotic old fart" and that was the end of it. As timed passed I found my dislike of him deepening. He kept cursing in a very adolescent kind of way (look mama, I can say big nasty words!) and making generally silly remarks. But the cherry on the cake was that because Blanca and I had to leave early (well, actually she had to leave early and I was certainly not staying behind) we tried to ask our waiter for the price of a glass of wine and a beer, so we could figure out our total. "Tried" is the right verb because it ended being an ordeal. Math was not his forte and he kept making all sorts of calculations on a piece of paper and coming back to us with bizarre bills. Meantime the New Zealand asshole was spewing aggressions and accusing us of being cheapskates. The one insult that really got to me was when he said that we were being just typical latinas. What a moron ! I left the place as fast as I could because there was really no point in arguing with an old ridiculous drunkard, but still ...

11:33 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


<< Home
MSN Online Status Indicator

search the blog
mark your location
links
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives
archives